Saturday, September 26, 2015

wealthy closeup monkish

Paint should not be applied thick. It should be like a breath on the surface of a pane of glass. (James Abbott McNeill Whistler)




Little squirrel bowls from Pier 1



Oy Oy Oy-  What an awful day. We waited to meet the wallpaper guy who didn't show at 9:30 as arranged.  I had to go to the doctor's and TY had a golf game but we hung out to the last possible second.  Yeah, I am still miserable from the vertigo but there seemed to be a small improvement from yesterday.  I left on my precarious high speed trip to the doc and TY waited for the guy. Meanwhile I found that I had thrown my phone into my purse without turning it off last night so it was dead as a doorknob and I was cut from the lines of communication.  As soon as I got to doc office I plugged in to the waiting room but only got up to 3%-  just enough to know I had four phone calls since leaving the house.  Nothing to do but worry about it later.

Physical went great, have lost a few pounds and all my numbers are perfect, so as they say, I'm in PERFECT shape for the shape I'm in!  Doc gave me an Rx for some valium to get through the revolving chair ride I must do in a few days plus I needed Molly's Rx for insulin so off to the pharmacy I go where I also got my flu shot since the doc hadn't ordered enough.  Did all that, left phone charging an had 3 messages when I got back to the car from the idiot wallpaper guy who was sitting outside the wrong house.  I gotta admit that I entered mad.  He was so ineffectual, from showing up late to sitting in front of the wrong house for 2 hours. And he wouldn't do what I needed even though I had completely described the project to him.
I am firing his Russian ass.
See?  THAT is how stressed he made me-  mostly complaining about no light, walls not primed, wrong ladder, and finally no air conditioning.  Well I went to one of the 2' silver conduits on the floor and aimed one right at him-  yup, we have air conditioning.  Grrrr.

So I finally got home and tried me a valium.  Things got better, mind you, not myself yet, but it seemed to take the edge off all my crashing into walls.  And I could stand without needing to hold on with both hands.  I am SO afraid I will be arrested for drunk and disorderly, I am stumbling all over the place and slurring words and hallucinating-  things like the floor is trying to HIT me...

BUT, while I was there early in the morning I had the two Cubans back with my stainless countertops.  They are fab- I'm so happy.  And the mirrors are up in the bathrooms-  big ones!  And I divided all the knobs and handles I ordered from etsy into bags for each room and the numbers came out.  I feel like I'm building this thing by myself.  

Now, to go to something a bit weirder, today we have a bit of a raspberry theme, something I haven't glommed onto before.  One of these days I will be able to pick my own again- I used to have a whole hedge of them back in MA that all became ripe together on the Fourth of July.  And we sure had a fill of raspberries at every meal for a month.  It made up for the raw skin on our arms from the brambles.




SKULLS:  Producing work since 1974, Japanese artist and jeweler Shinji Nakaba infuses all matter of anatomical forms, skulls, and flowers into what he describes as “wearable sculptures.” The pieces come in all shapes and sizes, but his most prolific series involves human and animal skulls carved from oyster pearls and attached to rings, necklaces, and brooches. In addition to selling pieces through his online shop, Nakaba’s work has been shown at the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts and the Museum of Arts & Design in New York, as well as several galleries and museums around Japan. You can see more of his jewelry designs and pearl carvings on his website.








RASPBERRY SKULLS:  Joseph Marr (some artworks nsfw) is an Australian multi-media artist based in Berlin known for his anatomically perfect sugar constructions of the human body that explore issues of desire and mortality. Last year for an organ donor charity called Live Life Give Life, a special art exhibition was organized by the Skull Appreciate Society titled Celebrabis Vitae where artist were invited to create skull-themed artworks. Marr’s contribution to the macabrely tongue-in-cheek event was this life-size translucent skull made from edible raspberry-flavored sugar.
Marr explains on his website that sugar only melts at a dangerously hot temperature of 366.8°F (186°C), and then cools rapidly once the heat source is removed, giving him only the slightest window to work with the maleable goo. “It’s a sensory overload, the smell, the colour, the heat and the honey like movement… it’s sharp like glass and smooth like marble and at the same time rough like concrete. Unpredictable.”




No comments :