Thursday, August 28, 2014

sack compute mediocrity



Art is a fruit that grows in man, like a fruit on a plant, or a child in its mother's womb. (Hans Jean Arp)


I picked up my new computer today and am sitting here frustrated at getting both computers hooked up to my network to transfer data.  Unfortunately I got it working for a bit but then somehow it kicked off the network and won't reconnect.  Drat-  with only 31 hours and 6 minutes to go!  The stoopid Apple store saw me coming (OK, the Apple Store isn't stooped  *I* am stooped for not opening it there in the store to check on the demos) and sold me a $39 cable that doesn't attach to either end so they'll be seeing me tomorrow again.  Why isn't it easy?  I know I have a Firewire Somewhere, but I'll be darned, it only attaches to the old computer so I still need another cable.  I shoulda just given them both computers and let them have at it.  

In Good News, Molly and Pepper are scampering all over the house in fine shape.  They are pooping again and eating again just like normal dogs, not the depressed sick guys I picked up two days ago.  We owe it all to a couple of cans of pumpkin-  it fixed them right up. They had the balls to ask me to write a Yelp review for the kennel and vet-  but just because I had a bad experience doesn't mean they are bad vets/ kennels-  I just know I will cancel a trip before I leave the guys there again.  Not that it will happen because I'm never bringing them back to MA again-  they love their vet and their kennel in FL and always come home happy and tired.  

The AC guy showed up on time and we are again cooled off and happy but he told TY as he was leaving to start getting quotes on a new system.  Our cool days are numbered.

I started packing stuff today for the trip back-  TY is monitoring my 'stuff' quotient so I have a big box I'm throwing things in to FedEx to myself rather than face his packing wrath.  I don't get it-  why can't I just fill the car up?  We can both take just a tiny bag for the trip and leave everything untouched ion the trunk-  not like we have to load and unload.  Weird.  

I spent a couple hours with Mister today-  he is the cutest kid!  We played and played and I 'rescued' him from one fix to another.  He is almost 10 months old and pulling himself up on everything, precarious or not.  I am so far removed from little kids that I just don't see the issues like I used to but we didn't have any smashed fingers or bumped heads today.  he is sort of crazed to keep moving and trying to get higher.  And I didn't get a parking ticket this time!  

Today we're flying with our art explorations:


Colombian artist Diana Beltran Herrera transforms colored paper into realistic-looking life-sized birds. She creates the paper sculptures by hand based off of photographs that she has re-sized. With incredible attention to detail, her sculptures look exactly like taxidermy. She has created numerous species for Longwood Gardens, a botanical garden in Pennsylvania, several birds of Florida for The Cornell Fine Arts Museum, as well as exotic birds and state birds for the least populous states. She is now living in Bristol where she is working towards her MA in Fine Arts at The University of the West of England.



Amazing what good fast lenses will allow!   While on a recent trip to Costa Rica, photographer Chris Morgan captured these stunning close-up images of humming birds. These hummingbird pictures are incredible with the detail  the photographer picked up.







 About her work, Märta Mattsson says: “Sometimes I see beauty in things that other people find strange or are even repulsed by. I become fascinated when there is something you do not want to see and the feeling you get when you do not want to look at something, yet you still do. My jewelery deals with the tension that lies between attraction and repulsion. I take seemingly inappropriate materials, making ordinary and familiar objects seem extraordinary and unfamiliar.”
Some of the materials used in these pieces are: Cicada wings, resin, crushed stone, glitter and silver.

Love the tail protection.


Think I'll try again to connect these computers-  it's cool sitting here and my frustration level will be lower not that I've done the blog for the night.

No comments :